Summer is almost here and that means HOT days (i’m in Texas, so we get our fair share), lots of outdoor activities and bikini season (EEK).
As I was thinking about all of the summer fun, I began to crave my go-to summer fruit… WATERMELON! Anyone else obsessed with watermelon as soon as the warm days start in?
I’m a sucker for watermelon anything, as long as it isn’t a fake watermelon flavor. I can’t stand fake fruit flavors. They just taste sugary and gross to me, so if I every come across something with cold-pressed fruit flavors, count me in!
One watermelon-flavored item that I can’t seem to find is salad dressing! A light vinaigrette dressing with a hint of fresh watermelon flavor sounded so good, especially tossed on some greens with feta, green onion and fresh veggies… #amiright?
I took a look at my normal go-to salad dressing brand, Tessemae’s to see if they had an option for me and they did not, though they did give me another idea! Sunflower seed oil!
The key to a good homemade vinaigrette dressing is finding an oil that won’t overpower the other flavors you’re trying to use in the recipe. Since fresh watermelon is a fairly light flavor, I didn’t want to use EVOO or olive oils as I find they have stronger taste profiles. So, I grabbed a bottle of my Tessemae’s Green Goddess dressing and looked at the label to see what oil was used and low and behold, it was sunflower seed oil!
I want to also note that this Fresh Watermelon Vinaigrette is a completely gluten free recipe, as well as a paleo and Whole30 approved dressing option! Woo hoo!
Recipe Servings // 24 2-tbls. servings
Macro Breakdown // 47 calories | 4.7g fat | 1.7g carbs | 0.1g protein
I N G R E D I E N T S //
- 1/2 cup Sunflower Seed Oil (I went with the refined option as I wasn’t wanting an intense amount of sunflower seed flavor)
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinager
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (I used about 2.5 lemons to get this amount)
- 2 tbls. roasted garlic (minced) or regular garlic would work too
- 1 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 2.5 cups of fresh watermelon (cut into small chunks)
- 1 tbls. fresh lemon pulp
I N S T R U C T I O N S //
- Measure out all the oil, vinegar, lemon juice and dry seasonings. Mix together thoroughly using a whisk and then set aside.
- Cut up your watermelon and add into a food processor, along with the lemon pulp and the 2 tbls. of garlic. Select the liquify option and blend all of those ingredients up until they look like juice.
- Last step is to add both the watermelon juice and the oil mixture together in a jar. Then you’re all set!
*NOTE: this is a vinaigrette and so they tend to separate. You will need to shake it up before use.
Now you are all set to go enjoy this delicious, low-calorie dressing on salads galore. So go grab yourself some fresh kale, fresh veggies, a block of feta cheese and GO.TO.TOWN!
Let me know what you think or if you have another dressing recipe I should check out, please share in the comments section!