Lasagna is one of those uber delicious meals that always tastes so good that it makes me KNOW it just can’t be good for me. All the gooey, cheesy layers packed between meat sauce and noodles. What’s not to love about lasagna? Except maybe all the calories and carbs…
Well, since I have one of THE BEST lasagna recipes courtesy one of my good friends, Mary (Hints the name – Mary’s Delicious Protein Lasagna), I decided to figure out how to #cookithealthier for y’all.
I took the recipe and did the following//
- Reduced the processed carbs by using Green Lentil No Boil Lasagne Noodles
- Reduced the dairy by subbing in dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- Reduced the fat by subbing low-fat cottage cheese for the ricotta cheese
- Increase the protein by adding more lean turkey + the Green Lentil noodles
Now, I won’t try to beat around the bush, quality takes time and this recipe will take you about an hour to prep. So I would carve out a little time on a Sunday afternoon to get it all together, then you have the luxury of baking it immediately or freezing until you’re ready to enjoy!
This recipe is easy, it just takes a few steps to get the sauce absolutely perfect. Trust me though, you’ll thank yourself for taking the time to create this lasagna from scratch.
Would you just look at this delicious sauce? The best part about making this from scratch is the large amount of sugars and sodium you can reduce. Both great things for leading a healthier lifestyle. I’m a firm believer that sugar is the root of all evil. (ok, that’s dramatic but i’m pretty sure sugar should always be avoided if possible)
Once you get all your ingredients in your pan (I would suggest either this All-Clad Stainless Steel 5-quart Saute Pan or this All-Clad Nonstick 2.5-Quart Sauce Pan), you will allow it to simmer for about 45 minutes, then start to build your lasagna!
You will layer using this formula: Meat sauce > noodles > cottage cheese mix > 1/4 cup of mozzarella > repeat
Usually with all the ingredients, I will get 2 layers done before I run out of the noodles. Though, if you’re wanting more layers, you can get 2 boxes of the lasagna noodles and you’ll have enough sauce + cheese mix. The picture below shows you what 3 layers looks like…
I’ve now made this recipe for several new momma’s to enjoy (perfect for a mealtrain.com). I’ll for sure be making it again soon the next time I have company over and we need a hearty but healthy dinner to go with some vino!
Recipe Servings // 15 square servings about 2.6″ x 3″
Macro Breakdown // 295 calories | 8.3g fat | 24.9g carbs | 20g protein
I N G R E D I E N T S //
- 16oz. Lean Ground Turkey
- 16oz. Ground Turkey Sausage
- 30oz. Low-Fat Cottage Cheese
- 8oz. So Delicious Dairy Free Mozzarella Cheese
- 4oz. So Delicious Dairy Free Parmessan Cheese
- 1/2 cup white onion (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes (crushed/chopped small)
- 12oz. Red Gold tomato paste
- 12oz. Red Gold tomato sauce
- 8oz. or half the bag of Trader Joe’s Organic Chopped Spinach (drained thoroughly in a paper towel to reduce as much extra moisture as possible)
- 1 pack of Explore Cuisine Green Lentil No Boil Lasagne Noodles
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 4 oz. water
- 2 Tbls. Primal Palate Organic Amore Seasoning or any other Italian Seasoning you prefer
- 1.5 Tbls. of sugar
- 9″ x 13″ baking pan (I use an aluminum foil pan to easily freeze or drop off at a friends if I make this recipe for someone else)
I N S T R U C T I O N S //
- *If you plan to bake the lasagna right away, preheat your oven to 375 degrees now*
- In your 5-quart saute pan over medium heat, cook your ground turkey and ground turkey sausage, onion and garlic until the meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Next, add in your 3 cups of fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce and water. Stir everything together and bring everything to a slight simmer before adding in the next ingredients.
- Now you can add in half the fresh chopped basil (you’ll save the other half for the cheese mix), Primal Palate Amore seasoning, S & P to taste and your sugar. Mix all this together and then bring to a simmer for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Grab a separate bowl to combine the cottage cheese, chopped spinach (remember to wring it out in a paper towel to eliminate any extra moisture), egg, S&P to taste but I added about a 1/2 tsp. of salt to mine.
- Once your meat sauce has simmered for 45 minutes, you’re ready to assemble your lasagna! Remember the formula I talked about above? Here’s how you assemble: Meat sauce > noodles > cottage cheese mix > 1/4 cup of mozzarella > repeat
- Now you will cover with foil to bake or stick it in the freezer for another time! If you bake fresh, bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes. *If you bake straight from the freezer, I would bake for 45 minutes and check it, then bake uncovered for another 45.
Now you’re ready to DIG IN!! I hope you enjoy making this lasagna and even more so enjoy eating it with your loved ones! Everyone will be asking for seconds while you can feel confident knowing that a serving of this will leave you satisfied while not blowing your whole days worth of macros!
Please let me know what you think of this recipe when you make it by tagging #CookedItHealthier on Instagram.