There’s just something undeniably about having homemade baked goods for breakfast. Having them already pre-made that’s ready to grab and enjoy with coffee really kicks the whole day off on the right foot! Anyone else feel this way?
Fresh strawberries and coconut have had a special place in my heard since I discovered Nada Moo non-dairy coconut ice cream. If you haven’t tried the Nada Moo Chocolate with fresh strawberries on top, YOU ARE NOT LIVING. PSA though, you really do need to like coconut. If you do not, then caution on proceeding with this recipe 🙂 Though I think you should really give it a try anyway.
I named these “mash muffins” because the couple main ingredients (banana + strawberry) both are mashed rather than pureed. I did this because I actually enjoy a little texture in baked goods. Also why I decided to add rolled oats. If you follow a gluten free lifestyle though, you can leave the oats out.
These muffins have such a delicate mix of flavors from the strawberries to the bananas to the coconut. If you’re on the hunt for a great recipe to make for kids or just for yourself, then you can whip these up in no time!
I do have to admit that as you’ll see below (or saw on the @cookithealthy Instagram account) I sure did enjoy these with a little something extra on top, but they are also great on their own if you’re thinking to yourself, “I can’t have ice cream for breakfast!” Although, who said you couldn’t have a little ice cream for breakfast? It’s summer. It’s hot outside. Kinda seems right.
Seriously though, these are low-calorie and you could bump up the protein per serving by adding some Vanilla protein powder to the mix.
The texture of these is, dare I say, moist? Hope that word doesn’t totally turn you off of these because they are delicious. Hope you all enjoy them!
Recipe Serving // 16 muffins
Macro Breakdown // 48 calories | 2.4g fat | 6.2g carbs | 1.2g protein
I N G R E D I E N T S //
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 (very ripe) Bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 Tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbls. Agave Nectar
- 3 Tbls. Vanilla Bean Forager Project Cashewgurt
- 1 cup of “mashed” strawberries (plus leave a couple whole strawberries to the side to slice for the tops of the muffins)
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill Shredded Coconut
I N S T R U C T I O N S //
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl mash your two ripe bananas with a fork until smooth and as little chunks as possible.
- Now you can add in the oats, cashewgurt and eggs. Combine all together until smooth.
- In a food processor (or mini dip maker like mine) add in your cup of strawberries to “mash” them up along with the agave nectar. I say “mash” them because I didn’t intend for this to be a puree, but rather a chunkier, strawberry mash. It will look like this:
- Add in your strawberry “mash” and half the shredded coconut into your bowl. Stir in thoroughly. Then add in the apple cider vinegar and the baking soda to the mix and stir together.
- Now you can fill a muffin pan with liners or use silicon baking cups. I used silicon baking cups like these Silicone Baking Cups. Fill the cups 3/4 of the way full and then add a thin slice of strawberry on top.
- Bake for 15 – 17 minutes. TIP: place the silicon cups on your top rack to prevent the bottoms from getting too brown.
Stick a toothpick in the middle of one of these to make sure they are done all the way through when you get them out of the oven, then set them on a cooling rack. Now you’re ready to sprinkle the remaining coconut shreds over the top and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy these! xoxo Ashley